Novice Kayak Clinic – 4 Days
From 1 to 4 days
You don’t need be an expert to have a great kayak adventure. At the novice clinic you will improve your kayak skills in a safe and beautiful environment.
The Sarapiqui Outdoor Center has professional instructors certified by the American Canoe Association (ACA) and the National Learning Institute (INA), who are ready to give you a unique experience.
Please note: We require a minimum of 2 people to run a kayak clinic. If the requirement is not met, there will be an additional charge of 50% of the price for clinic to operate.
In the 1-day clinic you will learn the basics:
- Choosing proper equipment and clothing
- Carrying a kayak
- Entering and exiting a kayak
- Proper body position
- Wet exit
- River safety
The 2-day clinic focuses on:
- Essential flatwater strokes: forward, sweep, gliding, bow and stern draw, braces and maneuvers.
- Edging the kayak
- Eddy turns, peel outs, and ferries
- River reading and identifying hazards
- River running
The 3-day clinic spends more time on the previous skills and introduces:
- Wave surfing
The 4-day clinic gives you more practice time and by the end of the week, students can often:
- Run Class II rapids with confidence and finesse
- Play on Class II surf waves and holes with confidence
- Roll a kayak
- Scout and run Class III rapids