You don’t need be an expert to have a great kayak adventure. At the novice clinic you will improve your kayak skills in a safe and beautiful environment.
The Sarapiqui Outdoor Center has professional instructors certified by the American Canoe Association (ACA) and the National Learning Institute (INA), who are ready to give you a unique experience.
In the 1-day clinic you will learn the basics:
- Choosing proper equipment and clothing
- Carrying a kayak
- Entering and exiting a kayak
- Proper body position
- Wet exit
- River safety
The 2-day clinic focuses on:
- Essential flatwater strokes: forward, sweep, gliding, bow and stern draw, braces and maneuvers.
- Edging the kayak
- Eddy turns, peel outs, and ferries
- River reading and identifying hazards
- River running
The 3-day clinic spends more time on the previous skills and introduces:
- Wave surfing
The 4-day clinic gives you more practice time and by the end of the week, students can often:
- Run Class II rapids with confidence and finesse
- Play on Class II surf waves and holes with confidence
- Roll a kayak
- Scout and run Class III rapids
Transportation: We can pick up your group from your location in the La Fortuna, Sarapiqui, or San Jose areas. More details here.
Please note: We require a minimum of 2 people to run a kayak clinic. If the requirement is not met, there will be an additional charge of 50% of the price for clinic to operate.
Guarantee your booking with a 20% deposit. Pay the remaining balance the day of the tour, Cash or credit card20% Deposit
Need assistance? WE ARE ONLINE. LET’S CHAT!
Each day includes:
- Safety equipment
- INA (National Learning Institute) and ACA (American Canoe Association) certified instructor
- Transportation from SOC to the paddling sites
- BBQ lunch by the river
- Tropical fruit and coconut cocktail
- Self-guided botanical tour
- Free Sugar Cane Tour ( 1 day)